Friday, February 18, 2011

Painting the roses red - featuring the wise, yet crazy caterpillar

Gee... What should I paint on my ukelele for
the Melbourne Ukulele festival this year?

Hmm....

I know! Maybe something based on Alice in wonderland for a change. he he he. I never get sick of using my favourite story for subject matter. There's just soooo many possibilities. So this piece is called 'Painting the roses red". I do love the wise, yet crazy caterpillar that helps Alice on her journey through wonderland, so I thought I better throw him in there.


I'm really happy with how it has turned out, you can't tell by the photos but I have got my trusty old burnisher out to burn the image into the wood. Now, the photos also hide the fact that the back, neck and edges of the Uke are varnished this vibrant cherry red. So I decided to paint just the roses to match, using acrylic. I also added very subtle spots of a white wash, just to add a bit more interest. To finish the piece I put a high gloss varnish over the roses and cards. I'm excited for it to be displayed in the Ukulele exhibition during the festival. All Ukuleles will be on display at 303 High street, Northcote

3 comments:

  1. It looks beautiful! I can't wait to see it in person !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I love how the roses look like! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so beautiful! Just amazing and I would like to turn my guitar into such artistic too :)

    and really thank you so your visit to my shop and blog. It's my pleasure that you love my works.

    ReplyDelete